‘P’ combinations are used in many formulas for success in areas such as marketing strategy, productivity, leadership, project management and even sustainability. Well we believe that Content needs some P’s to represent its power for your brand and its potential to maximise ROI for your investments!
More and more prominence is being placed on content as a marketing tactic and it is not surprising that the most successful B2B marketers report spending 40% of their budget on content marketing as of 2018. (Content Marketing Institute). So what are the 4 P’s for Content power, according to us at Clockwise?
As with so many things, content marketing starts with a good plan. Your plan should start with your objectives – which could be to increase website traffic and generate new leads or be more focussed on brand positioning and awareness – and go on to:
- Conduct an audit and research
- Explore different channels, content types and techniques relevant to your audience
- Brainstorm a range of ideas and topics
- Create an editorial calendar
The actual production of your content can now be shaped in line with your plan. Be sure to involve influencers in the planning and production stages in order to gain trust and approval before steaming ahead. Content types could include:
- Blog posts
- Case studies
- Social media
Be sure to create content snippet variations to bespoke the content for the relevant mediums and to make it easily digestible. You can do this by creating multiple titles, highlighting relevant questions or key statistics, and to promote your CTA.
Updating and expanding your posts can give your content a fresh new purpose, in a new format or from a fresh perspective, perhaps in the light of new research or statistics. It will always look favourable to develop your content and put forward new recommendations.
This third P is the most likely P to be missed. Many businesses will invest in the planning and creation of content, but fail to promote the content via all the possible routes.
This is a two-part stage where you will be A) Building your audience and B) promoting the content to that audience. In order to build your audience you will need to consider some of the following methods:
- Influencer marketing
- Comment marketing
- Social Media marketing
- Earned Media/PR
- In terms of promotion methods, a first consideration (and one that requires minimum cost) should be to contribute to content sharing communities such as Hubpages, Reddit and Blog Engage, where members of your audience are active. Your business could be seen to really add value to the community you are reaching out to, and there is the potential to become an industry thought-leader.
Methods of paid promotion should also be considered, such as search marketing, social media advertising, display advertising and email marketing.
Content Marketing done right – will bring further opportunities that need to be positively responded to and accepted to complete the 4 P formula. Opportunities could include any of the following:
- Industry speaking opportunities
- Podcast invitations
- Guest spots on webinars, often with other influencers
- Free or discounted advertising and sponsorship opportunities
- Further PR and editorial
- Book publishing opportunities
In addition to opportunity, successful content marketing will bring better brand associations and higher brand recall, as well as making future marketing efforts more impactful. There is nothing to lose, so get planning!